Tuesday, November 23, 2010

OF WELLS AND FOUNTAINS

I guess we have all experienced the sensation of involuntarily applying a notion to ourselves when we read about it for the first time. Allow me to elucidate.

You read that some people are Night Owls and others are Early Birds and you try to pigeonhole yourself into one of those two categories whilst deep inside you know that you can actually be both, according to necessity. Whether one stays up late or rises early is mostly determined by the work one does. I have had the opportunity to do both, at some times even concurrently (which amounts to burning the candle at both ends) and I must say that after a few days, my body, metabolism, motor functions and alert phases adjust pretty easily. I can understand that not everyone adjusts as well as I; reasons may be myriad but the most important one is motivation or the lack of it.

There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can’t. I am not sure into which category I can place myself. Ther are two kinds of righters, too: thos who can spel and thos who canot.

It always simplifies matters when you give folks just the two options, doesn’t it? Black on White is so much more easy to understand and identify ourselves with than shades of grey. Is it a coincidence that shades of grey are more appreciated by individuals who make more use of their grey matter?

There is one thing worse than a person who can’t and won’t cook; that is a person who can’t cook, and does. Joking apart, most humans cook because they have to, not because they want or love to, and it shows! (tastes too)

Never has the maxim “if you can’t do what you like get to like what you do” been more appropriate than in this instance.  Those who for some reason have to cook for themselves and others need to put their heart in it. You can’t just do it for the money or because you have to eat something!

Going off at a tangent on the same subject, I had read that certain personalities from which we can draw a certain amount of enlightenment are similar either to fountains or to wells. Thus, we can use phrases like “a fountain of knowledge” or “a well of wisdom”. This doesn’t mean that only these two types exist, mind you! It’s just that I chose these two types to focus on.
If you stand under a fountain (or even near, if the wind is blowing in your direction) you will get soaked, even if you just sit there passively. Fountains are mostly shallow but they continously recycle the water which is filtered along the way. These types of personalities could be school teachers who build up their knowledge during their formative years and impart that knowledge throughout their working career. They only need to top up to compensate for natural spillage and evaporation.

Wells, on the other hand, are deep, usually covered resevoirs. To tap a well, you need to first discover it, dig deep or uncover it, then you have to use some method to draw water from it. The well needs to have a way of replenishing itself with new water to replace the water that is drawn from it. If you draw water at a faster rate than it can refill, the well will empty. If it refills at a faster rate than is being drawn, it will overflow.

I DO feel like a well in character. I can output , give of myself, teach, show, communicate, write , paint, cook for a period of time but at a certain point I feel the urgent need to replenish myself, learn something new, new ways, methods, updates, info, news, read….any source really. The more I give of myself, the more I need to top up. I need to keep the well topped up, otherwise I feel empty.

That is the balance in life which I have continually sought for many years.




No comments:

Post a Comment