Thursday, July 6, 2017


                                My Recent Discovery.

Miso Soup With Tofu

Since I have been in Japan , I have used both European as well as Asain Ingredients for my 
cooking. I had to make some research, not only to know how the Japanese use certain Ingredients, but also to know how I could use them in Fusion Recipes using the best of both worlds. 
It so happens that I am a cheese lover. Cheese is not only prohibitively expensive in Japan, but also available in very limited variety, compared to what I am used to, that is. This led me to turn my attention to Tofu.  Tofu is not only available in many different textures, flavours and varieties, but also relatively cheap. Weight for weight, it costs approximately 80 percent less than PROCESSED cheese.

When I looked at the manufacturing process of Tofu, I noticed that it is quite straightforward, so anyone who wants to make their own should get right down to it, not only for economic reasons, but also for the ability to add any flavours like herbs and spices, which you might take 
your fancy.

Tofu is much healthier than cheese, Mascarpone or Ricotta. It is made from Soy Beans, which are known to reduce cholesterol and counteract hypertension. Actually, even Soya Milk is very easy to make. Both Soya Milk and Tofu are practically tasteless
but they will absorb any flavour with which they are mixed, and this makes them quite versatile both in savoury as well as sweet dishes.

Another Soy Based product which I like to use here is Miso . Although this can also be bought in powder form, I prefer to buy it as a paste. I add it to dishes instead of stock cubes or Salt. It can also be diluted to form soup.The neat thing about Miso is that although it IS salty enough to add flavour to your foods, soups, sauces, the Soy Bean content in it neutralizes the effect of the salt in the body, and also counteracts the effect of salt consumed through other sources.
Both Tofu and Miso can be bought from Asian Friendly stores, but do NOT take my word for it. Make your own research and come to your conclusions. 

https://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&

No comments:

Post a Comment